Sunday, March 13, 2011

Another 12 days in Marimba


I don't think I have mentioned it my blog, but Rita's website is a good source of information, so please check out afgl.org
01/03/11
Stayed up too late, got up late (07:00), fixed more things, organized stuff, etc.  Managed to have morning and evening prayers, mass, and say the rosary (first time in Kenya).  Walked a bit with Fr. Jules and we had a look at the convent (which will be our new home) for the second time.  It seems to have a lot of potential.  Took a few pictures of the children taking the kernels off the maize.  I was, swarmed by the girls, as they wanted to see their pictures.  All in all it was another wonderful day in Marimba.
02/03/11
I can’t remember much about this day, as this entry is being done in retrospect.  I did start (with Fr. Jules) to work on the cleaning and organizing of the stores at the girl’s complex.  And we have come to celebrating the Holy Eucharist in the evenings after supper and wait until the children’s chapel service is over and Rita has put the younger children to bed.  When it’s all said and done, mass is usually at 7:30 – 8:00pm.
03/03/11
Made a bunch of phone calls in the morning – my sisters Janice and Jocelyn, and two of my children Jacquelyn and Jordan.  Fr. Jules and I went for a walk down to the school, and to take a look at the dispensary, which is a fairly new empty building.  It is on the property complex, but requires some input from the locals and remains in limbo.  We also walked down the road on the south side of the property and came upon some women (one very old) who were carrying bundles of large tree branches on their backs, and I recon they easily exceed 100 lbs. – amazing!  Took pictures of them and Fr. Jules.  Walked past the church on the way back to the house.  The church is also on the OLG grounds and requires some work, but again it has been built and donated to the local people, so not much has been done with regards to repairs, upkeep, etc.  Father and I cleaned and rearranged the storeroom in the house.  I fixed a few more things and went down to the complex to continue cleaning and organizing the storeroom.  Came back to the house, had a shower, washed clothes, cooked and ate dinner, went to mass in the chapel in the house.  And here I am, writing and trying to remember what I did yesterday.
04/03/11
Another day that I am trying to remember – it was only yesterday, but I’m trying to recall, as I am entering this on the 5th!  I really should make an entry every day, but somehow the days are flying by even though I don’t feel like I’m accomplishing much!  I did go down to do more cleaning of the tool store room.  Not much for tools, a bit of pipe, fertilizer, concrete, paint, and a six dead rats!  Better dead than live!  Just before supper, I went down to take some pictures of the children chucking maize, and ended up helping them – lots of fun!
05/03/11
Did some work on the chapel in the house, and it now looks much better.  Walked down to the garden to talk to Paul, who is in charge of the men who work on the property.  On the way back I passed by the garden where approximately twenty girls were weeding.  It’s amazing how much work they do with such cheerfulness, almost as if it were playing an enjoyable game.  Went down to take another look at the convent (which will be our new home).  There is still a lot of work to be done, but I think it will be a nice living space.  The chapel will be very nice, with two adjacent walls covered in windows.  Had adoration in the chapel at the girl’s residence for the first time.  We all thoroughly enjoyed it, and the singing was first class, as usual.  These kids sure know how to praise and worship the Lord, and are lead by Helen who is a wonderful gift from God.
06/03/11
It was another Sunday in paradise.  Not much happened today other than going to church.  The good thing about Mass was the singing and dancing, which like the Eucharist, I pray that it never gets old.  I was sitting with some of the children from OLG and they kept brushing their hands on my arm like they were stroking a cat and I think that it’s because my arms are a bit hairy and they find it fascinating.  They would also press their fingers on my hands and I realized that they could see that the skin tone would change from pink to white and visa versa.  Gave five of them money to take up in front of the altar for the offering, and they seemed to enjoy doing so.  What have I started?  The thing that I did not like about the mass was the sermon was over 30 min., and new members came forward to be acknowledged, and then the same for the parish council.  I think the majority of the congregation, are on the parish council.  Once it was all over my back was killing me, as I was sitting on a bench with no back to it, and start to finish the service was two and a half hours!!!  And I thought that the last two services were long in duration of one and a half hours each.  There is now talk, that the Sunday services for the children will be at the OLG residence chapel with Fr. Jules as the celebrant – please Lord make it happen!  Rita attended a long meeting in the evening and came back a weary woman.  Everyone except me (as usual) retires early.  I’ll do a bit of e-mail although there isn’t much because of the blog, which is a good thing (?).
07/03/11
Today was another fix it, or at least try to fix it day.  I must admit I am stubborn enough to be able to fix most things and in some cases without even some of the most basic tools.  I cut Father’s hair and beard, and Michael’s hair today.  Michael wouldn’t go for the beard trim, but he sure needs it – each to his own!  Tomorrow, time permitting, I will cut my own hair and maybe get some one to clean it up a bit.  We went down to the children’s chapel this evening, and were very impressed indeed.  At 6:30pm they recited the entire divine mercy chaplet, including the litany!  After they were done the older children receive lessons from 7-8pm, then homework from8-9pm, and up at 5:30 the next day.  Rita has had meeting after meeting the last few days and is totally spent, as she is fighting a cold as well, and trying to do the cooking too.  God bless her, and may she have a good and energizing sleep.  Going to check my e-mails and maybe even some hockey scores!
08/03/11
A bit tired today.  Did more fixing and organizing.  Found out yesterday that I will be building a big wooden cross for the church, which was an idea that Fr. Jules mentioned to Rita.  It will be a huge wooden cross that I may have to bear, literally and figuratively!  I have some ideas, but presently have no material and tools to do the job.  I’m sure that things will work themselves out in due time.   I need to keep reminding myself that this culture is not so much driven by instantaneous results and gratification as what I am accustomed to.  I have been in similar situations before, but it is difficult for someone such as myself who is driven by results and is a recovering perfectionist.  Rita was told that 2 new girls were to be admitted to the orphanage, and wouldn’t you know it, 5 arrive in quite a sorry state.  May God bless them and allow their transition seamless and fulfilling.  Took pictures of 17 girls who required them for documents.  Thanks to father, I got a hair cut and beard trim today.

09/03/11
It is Ash Wednesday today.   Rita went to town to pick up her friend Joan, so I had to move into Father’s room.  As it turns out, father and I were the only ones to celebrate mass in the chapel as we didn’t realize that Rita and Joan were back in time to celebrate the Eucharist in the church.  I really enjoyed mass in the chapel.  Earlier on in the day I went for a long walk, took a lot of pictures of the countryside and some of the tea pickers.  On the way back I took pictures of the school children – what a wonderful group of kids.  Rita’s friend Joan who had arrived from Nairobi,   is of Indian descent and lives in Australia.  She, like Rita comes to Kenya for a good part of the year to volunteer her time and talents.  Joan is a lawyer by profession and work with kids in Korogocho slums in Nairobi.  After supper we went down to observe (and participate in) the chapel service. There was lots of good singing, including a rendition of waltzing matilda in honor of Joan.  There were the usual good scriptural readings, and of course afterwards, when we were outside, I was goaded into doing a couple of elephant calls.
10/03/11
Did a bit of repairs and work on the storeroom.   Joan is a wonderful woman who works for an organization called BeKids, in the slums of Nairobi.  She showed us a well put together video of their works of charity in the slums.  Not sure what happened to the rest of the day, but there it was, gone!
11/03/11
We went to Meru today – myself, Fr. Jules, Rita, Michael and Joan.  This was Father’s first trip to town and only my second trip.  Joan was on her way back to Nairobi, and then back home to Auz on the weekend.  The rest of us had a meeting with Bishop Selasious.  The meeting went O.K., but I forgot to take a photograph of the bishop – oops!   We also handed in paperwork for a long term visa to do volunteer work in the diocese of Meru.  We did some shopping and Father got a new chair.  We also had lunch near the big shopping store called Nakumat.  Then back to Meru in the afternoon.  The trip was a bit tiring, but a pleasant change.  It’s amazing how time flies when you are having fun.  We are mostly a cohesive bunch, who banter back and forth, tease, and laugh.  We went down to the children’s chapel and celebrated the Stations of the Cross during the exposition of the holy Eucharist.  The children seemed to quite enjoy it even though there were a few minor technicalities that we need to iron out.  Back to the house to talk a bit, then retire to our rooms.  I am still up journaling!
12/03/11
Did more work today and took some pictures of the children working.  They were cleaning, bagging maize, helping in the kitchen, working in the garden, etc.  Even the youngest ones help out the best they can, and in most cases, do it with a smile on their faces – phenomenal!  Rita made another arduous journey today, along with Helen, to get some potatoes and beans.  This evening, Fr. Jules celebrated mass in the chapel at the girl’s residence for the first time.  As usual the children did a terrific job of singing, and fortunately father’s voice was strong throughout the entire mass.  His highly animated homily had the children bursting with laughter!  Just after the consecration it began to rain, and rather hard at times, to the point that it was very difficult to hear anything because the roofs are made of corrugated metal with no ceiling to dampen the sound.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Dave! Utterly beautiful pictures. And good writing too. God is using your gifts to the fullest. If I ever get to come I can augment your elephant call with my donkey bray which is quite awesome if I do say so myself. What talents we Girards have!
    I am enchanted with what God is doing in and through you. xoxo Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete